906-226-9658 | 1-888-578-6489
West End Vocational Education Program
What are the program goals of the West End Vocational Education Program?
- The West End Vocational Education Initiative is a new multi-year Career & Technical Education (CTE) program at Westwood High School.
- Students from NICE, Ishpeming, Negaunee, Gwinn, Marquette and Republic-Michigamme school districts can access the new CTE program at Westwood High School.
- Articulation agreements between the secondary CTE program curriculum and post secondary institutions are in place.
- Representatives from business, labor, education and the community are actively involved in the program through participation in the CTE Advisory Committee.
- Create and plan a vigorous marketing campaign to create manufacturing/construction career awareness.
- This CTE program can be packaged as a mode for school districts across the state
- Watch a video about the welding and CAD programs offered at Negaunee Schools
What are the outcome objectives of the program?
- To make a variety of vocational training available to the students of Western Marquette County high schools and meet the hiring needs of area employers in the next ten years.
- To provide an efficiency of scale that will support vocational training at the high school level.
- Students completing the high school programs will receive credit for appropriate collegiate courses.
- Develop a widespread base of support for the Career & Technical Education (CTE) program.
- Parents and students will be made aware of the technically oriented employment opportunities for quality family sustaining careers available locally and will understand the need for post secondary training and apprenticeships.
- The CTE model will be used by other communities in Michigan to create similar successful programs.
When does the program start?
The classes begin in August of each year at Westwood High School. Registration for the 2012-13 school year will be done through the individual schools. Contact your school counselor for mor information:
Ishpeming High School (906) 485-1066 – Tricia Smith
Negaunee High School (906) 475-7861 – Kevin Bell
Republic Michigamme High School (906) 376-2277 – Paul currie
Westwood High School – (906) 485-1021 – Doug Elliot
NEW!!! – Take a look at the program brochures!!
For more information contact the Lake Superior Community Partnership Foundation at 906-226-9658.